San Joaquin Valley Institute
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE SACRAMENTO LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE
DEADLINE TO APPLY: 11:59PM ON FRIDAY, APRIL 11, 2014.
The CLYLP San Joaquin Valley Institute (SJVI) was established in 1999 to inspire and motivate students from the area to become the future leaders of the San Joaquin Valley Chicano/Latino community through public service. Open to 50 students from the San Joaquin Valley, the three-day institute offers an impactful program designed to develop students’ leadership potential and increase their knowledge of the region’s cultural and political landscape. Institute participants connect with education, business, political and community leaders from the Central Valley and receive encouragement in their pursuit of post-secondary educational opportunities. Housing, meals and program materials are provided at no cost to the participants or their families.
CLYLP SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY INSTITUTE ACTIVITIES
- Civic Day: Students learn about the legislative process through active participation in mock hearings and interaction with city and county legislators and legislative staff.
- College & Careers Day: Students participate in informational workshops about financial aid, university requirements and options, and the college admissions process.
SJVI PARENT INSTITUTE
In recognition that parents and families must also participate in developing student’s leadership potential, the SJVI includes a one-day Parent Institute designed for the parents and families of SJVI participants. The Parent Institute is held the last day of the SJVI so parents and family members can also take home valuable information that they can share with their student. In a bilingual format, parents not only receive important information on the college admissions process and financial aid resources, but also learn how to best support their college-bound students. Latino college graduates and current students, as well as parents of first-generation college graduates share advice to underscore the importance of parental support. More information will be provided in the student acceptance package.
The 2014 San Joaquin Valley Institute will take place Friday, June 20th to Sunday, June 22nd.
All institute activities will take place in the City of Fresno. Students will be housed at Fresno State.
To be eligible to apply, students must:
- Currently be enrolled in a California high school for the 2013-2014 academic year and live in one of the following counties: Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tulare, Tuolumne.
- Currently be in either 10th (Sophomore) or 11th (Junior) grade.
- Not have previously attended the San Joaquin Valley Institute or the Sacramento Leadership Conference as a participant.
- Must be able to attend the entire weekend; no exceptions or accommodations will be made.
HOW TO APPLY
This is an online application process. Applications must be submitted by 11:59PM on Friday, April 11, 2014. Click on the link below to read the application instructions.
WANT TO VOLUNTEER?
For more information the SJVI staff appilcations, click on the link below.