Sacramento Leadership Conference
Since its inception in 1982, the Chicano Latino Youth Leadership Project (CLYLP) has offered a once in a lifetime opportunity for California’s youth in Sacramento. The Sacramento Leadership Conference (SLC) brings 120 high school students from throughout the state to participate in a week-long, intensive leadership program. Conference participants attend powerful workshops and seminars that enhance leadership skills, academic preparedness, self-esteem, cultural awareness, and provide an understanding of state and local government. Programming at all CLYLP programs including the SLC is based on CLYLP’s four curriculum “C’s”: Community, Culture, College and Careers.
Participants will leave with valuable information and tools that they can begin using when they return to school in the Fall. Most importantly, students will leave with new friendships from throughout the state of California. Housing, meals, program materials and transportation to and from the conference are provided at no cost to the participants or their families.
CLYLP SACRAMENTO LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE ACTIVITIES
- Legislative Day at the State Capitol: Students learn about the legislative process through active participation in mock hearings and interaction with legislators and legislative staff.
- Campaign Development Workshops: Students learn skills and techniques needed to organize and run political campaigns. Students then use these skills at school for class and student body elections.
- College & Careers Day: Students attend a College Fair and meet with community college, CSU, UC, and private college recruiters. College representatives, admissions staff, and financial aid experts provide students with information on how to apply for and succeed in college. Students also get exposure to various professional careers.
The Sacramento Leadership Conference will take place Saturday, July 22 to Saturday, July 29, 2017.
Students are housed at California State University, Sacramento, and all activities take place in the City of Sacramento. Transportation to and from Sacramento is provided by CLYLP.
To be eligible to apply, students must:
- Currently be enrolled in a California high school for the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Currently be in either 10th (Sophomore) or 11th (Junior) grade. (Freshman and Seniors are ineligible to apply).
- Not have previously participated in the Sacramento Leadership Conference.
- If you previously attended the San Joaquin Valley Institute or Los Angeles Institute, you may apply to the Sacramento Leadership Conference.
- Must be able to attend the entire conference week; no exceptions or accommodations will be made.
The application period for the 2017 program is now closed.
WANT TO VOLUNTEER?
For more information on Sacramento Leadership Conference staff applications click on the link below