CLYLP High School Program Application
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY TO CLYLP'S HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS IS
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19, 2017 at 3:00PM
CLYLP HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS
CLYLP offers four (4) high school programs across the state for 10th and 11th grade students. Students can apply as follows:
|Sacramento Leadership Conference||July 22-29, 2017||
Open to all 10th and 11th grade students from California.
All students are encouraged to apply to the Sacramento Leadership Conference.
If you live in one of the counties listed below, you can apply both to the SLC AND/OR the regional institute for which you are eligible. Students are highly encouraged to apply to both programs.
|San Joaquin Valley Institute||June 23-25, 2017||
Open to 10th and 11th grade students living in the following counties: Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tulare, and Tuolumne.
|Bay Area Institute||June 23-25, 2017||
Open to 10th and 11th grade students living in the following counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Mendocino, Monterey, Napa, San Benito, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, and Sonoma.
|Los Angeles Institute||August 11-13, 2017||Open to 10th and 11th students from Los Angeles County.|
All CLYLP high school programs are FREE to students. Housing, meals, and transportation are covered by CLYLP.
If you are accepted to participate in a CLYLP high school program, you MUST ATTEND THE ENTIRE conference week or institute weekend. No partial attendance allowed. No exceptions.
To be eligible to apply to a CLYLP high school program, students must:
- Be enrolled in a California high school for the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Be in either 10th or 11th grade at the time you submit your application. (9th and 10th graders are not eligible to apply.)
- If you attended San Joaquin Valley Institute, Los Angeles Institute, or Bay Area Institute last year, you are encouraged to apply to the Sacramento Leadership Conference.
- If you attended the Sacramento Leadership Conference last year, you are no longer eligible to apply to any CLYLP high school program as a participant (You are encouraged to apply to the Peer Counselor program or Support Staff!)
The CLYLP High School Program application has 6 sections. To apply, students must complete all 6 sections and submit all required documents.
Section 1: Program Selection
You must indicate which CLYLP program(s) you are applying to. You can apply to one or two programs, depending on where you live, as noted above.
Section 2: Background Information
Student contact information, parent/guardian information, high school information.
Section 3: Extracurricular Activities List
Submit a list of extracurricular activities you are or were involved with, including student leadership, school clubs, school programs (AVID, PUENTE, etc.), sports, other after school activities, employment experience, volunteer experience, internships, religious activities, or describe any other responsibilities you have (i.e., babysitting siblings, helping parent’s business) outside of school.
Section 4: Two Letters of Recommendation
- One letter must be from an educator (i.e., teacher, counselor, principal, etc.) at your school;
- One letter must be from an adult community member who is not related to you. Example of community member: community organization representative, church or religious leader, employment supervisor, etc.
- Each letter of recommendation must include a phone number and contact information, and if possible should be on official letterhead.
- NOTE: If you are applying online, your letters of recommendation must be uploaded to the application as PDF files. Please notify your recommenders to send you a PDF copy of the letter or to hand the letter to you so you can scan it as a PDF file. DO NOT mail in the letter to CLYLP.
- NOTE: If you are submitting a paper application, the letters of recommendation must be mailed in the same envelope as the rest of your application materials. DO NOT mail the letter separately.
Section 5: Official High School Transcript
- Students must submit an official transcript
- NOTE: If you are applying online and your official transcript comes in a sealed envelope, please open the transcript, scan the document into a PDF format, and upload it to the online application.
Section 6: Three (3) Essay Questions
Students must provide complete responses to the three questions listed below. Each essay should be 500 words or less. Essays written in Spanish are acceptable.
Essay #1 – Leadership: Discuss your leadership ability and potential. Provide examples of when you demonstrated leadership. How do you see CLYLP playing a role in your leadership development?
Essay #2 – Autobiography: Describe the world you came from--for example your family, community or school--and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations. What is an experience that has occurred in your life that is important to you and why?
Essay #3 – Hypothetical Situation: Envision yourself as a future leader of California. Identify a barrier or challenge impacting Latino youth and what you propose to address the barrier or challenge.
The online application portal can be accessed below. The deadline to apply is 3:00 PM on Wednesday, April 19, 2017.
Application documents must be uploaded as PDF files. To learn how to convert word documents into PDF files, click here.
APPLY VIA U.S. POST MAIL
If you are unable to apply online, you may submit your application by U.S. Mail. Download paper application:
Student Application Committee
P.O. Box 161566
Sacramento, CA 95816-1566
DEADLINE TO APPLY BY MAIL: Your application must by POST MARKED by no later than April 19, 2017. Applications mailed after this date will not be considered.
- Failure to provide any of the above requested documents may disqualify you from having your application reviewed.
- Keep a copy of your application and all documents submitted to the CLYLP Application Committee.
In order to download the paper application you MUST have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your system as a helper application to your internet browser. Acrobat Reader may be downloaded FREE OF CHARGE from Adobe. If you are unable to download application please email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a copy via email.
SELECTION PROCESS AND NOTIFICATION
Applications are scored based on the following criteria:
- Essay #1 - Leadership
- Essay #2 - Autobiography
- Essay #3 - Hypothetical Essay
- Extracurricular Activities List
- Letters of Recommendation
Students selected to participate in a CLYLP High School Program will be notified by late May/early June. Please check your email account often.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE STUDENT APPLICATION PROCESS
If you need more information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page, or contact the CLYLP by:
(1) Via voice mail at (530) 481-5642
(2) Via e-mail at email@example.com.