Through a generous grant from the Comcast Foundation and in partnership with the California Latino Legislative Caucus, the California State University, Sacramento-Center for California Studies, the University of California Center at Sacramento, the University of Southern California and the Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities, CLYLP offers a rigorous four-week internship in the state capitol exclusively for CLYLP alumni. The fellowship curriculum builds upon the training received at CLYLP high school leadership programs and introduces college students to the inner workings of California government and statewide policy issues. Fellows have the opportunity to engage key leaders in various sectors of California's life and culture. Site visits and informal gatherings will be provided through the month-long program designed to build community and expand the fellows' leadership and support network.
WHAT THE FELLOWSHIP OFFERS
Fellows will each receive a scholarship of $3,000 for the four-week period; these funds will be provided in four (4) installments as part of successful completion of components of the program.
- Work Placement
Each fellow will be placed in a legislative office in Sacramento for four (4) weeks and will be assigned mentors to support their work.
- Academic and Leadership Training Seminars
The fellows will receive exposure to a leadership curriculum that includes a focus on the inner workings of California government, the factors influencing policy makers and current and future policy issues facing California taught by academic faculty and leaders within the state.
- Regional Policy Briefing Trip
Fellows will travel to another region of California for a weekend to study pressing issues facing the geographical region, and connect with local leaders.
- CLYLP Volunteerism
In addition, the fellows will serve in key leadership roles in the final planning of the CLYLP High School Leadership Programs, including the Sacramento Leadership Conference.
The Comcast Fellowship begins Wednesday, June 26, 2013 and will run through Saturday, July 27, 2013.
LOCATION AND HOUSING
The fellowship takes place in the City of Sacramento, with some weekend program traveling opportunities. Fellows will be provided housing and will have access to public transportation in order to complete their assigned internship at the State Capitol, volunteer at the CLYLP office, and attend academic course sessions in downtown Sacramento.
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Completed one of CLYLP's high school leadership programs: Sacramento Leadership Conference, San Joaquin Valley Institute or the Los Angeles Institute.
- Demonstrated leadership in their community since participating in a CLYLP high school leadership program.
- Completed at minimum one year of college and be returning to their studies as a full-time undergraduate at an accredited college or university.
- Commit to continuously being in Sacramento throughout the entire duration of the fellowship and fulfill all the requirements of the program. Weekend travel within these dates is prohibited and will only be approved on a case-by-case basis if discussed and approved prior to the start of the fellowship program.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to the CLYLP Comcast Fellowship, download the application here
Applications must be RECEIVED by no later than ( ) by either:
1. Email: Applications may be emailed to Fellowship@clylp.org
2. Fax: Applications may be faxed to (916) 446-4028 to the attention of Comcast Fellowship Selection Committee
3. Mail: Chicano Latino Youth Leadership Project
Attention: Comcast Fellowship Selection Committee
915 L St Ste 1425
Sacramento, CA 95814
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information please contact: Fellowship@clylp.org