Bay Area Institute
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY TO ALL CLYLP HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS IS
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19, 2017 BY 3:00PM
The CLYLP Bay Area Institute (BAI) was established in 2014 to inspire and motivate students from the region to become the future leaders of the Bay Area Chicano/Latino community through public service. Open to 50 students from the 13 Bay Area counties, the three-day institute offers an impactful program designed to develop students’ leadership potential and increase their knowledge of the region’s cultural and political landscape. Institute participants connect with education, business, political and community leaders from the Bay and receive encouragement in their pursuit of post-secondary educational opportunities. Housing, meals and program materials are provided at no cost to the participants or their families.
THE CLYLP CURRICULUM AND INSTITUTE ACTIVITIES
The CLYLP Bay Area Institute curriculum focuses on the CLYLP’s Four C’s model of success: Community, Culture, College and Careers.
Activities will include:
- Civic Day: Students will learn about the legislative process through active participation in mock hearings and interaction with city and county lawmakers and staff.
- College & Careers Day: Students will participate in informational workshops about financial aid, university requirements and options, and learn about the college admissions process.
Through their BAI experience, students will gain valuable leadership training skills, meet and learn from many accomplished professionals, receive important college information, and create long lasting friendships and peer/professional networks.
BAI - PARENT INSTITUTE
In recognition of the importance of parents and families’ role in developing a student’s leadership and academic potential, the BAI will include a one-day Parent Institute designed for the parents and families of BAI participants. The Parent Institute will be held on the final day of the Institute. Parents and family members will receive valuable information to take home and share with their student. Parents will not only receive important information on the college admissions process and financial aid resources, but they will also learn how to best support their college-bound students. Latino college graduates and current students, as well as parents of first-generation college graduates, will share advice from their own experiences to underscore the importance of parental support. Additional information will be provided in the student acceptance package.
The Bay Area Institute will take place Friday, June 23 to Sunday, June 25, 2017.
Students are housed at UC Berkeley and all institute activities take place in Berkeley/Oakland.
To be eligible to apply, students must:
- Currently be enrolled in a California high school for the 2016-2017 academic year and live in one of the following counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Mendocino, Monterey, Napa, San Benito, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, and Sonoma.
- Currently be in either 10th (Sophomore) or 11th (Junior) grade. (Freshman and Seniors are ineligible to apply)
- Not have previously attended the Sacramento Leadership Conference as a participant.
- Must be able to attend the entire weekend; no exceptions or accommodations will be made.
HOW TO APPLY
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY TO ALL CLYLP HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS IS WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19, 2017 BY 3:00PM
WANT TO VOLUNTEER?
For more information about Bay Area Institute staff applications, click on the link below.