Ellie E. Peck Alumni Internship
DEADLINE TO APPLY: June 23, 2017
The CLYLP Ellie Enriquez Peck Alumi Internship program offers college-aged CLYLP alumni an opportunity to gain work experience, receive mentorship, and build upon the leadership skills introduced at CLYLP high school programs. Named after one of CLYLP’s longest running volunteers, the internship program was established in 2011 also as an outlet for students to contribute to CLYLP and its mission to developing California’s future leaders. Interns take part in the behind the scene efforts to plan and execute CLYLP’s seven programs across the state while learning skills in event planning, program support fundraising, communications, and public relations.
ABOUT ELLIE ENRIQUEZ PECK
Ellie Peck was a friend, mentor, supporter, and avid volunteer of CLYLP from 1982 until her passing in 2013. Ellie was a key figure in California Lieutenant Governor Leo McCarthy's staff, worked on Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley's campaign for Governor, helped found Comision Femenil, and helped organize the California Senior Legislature, among other accomplishments. Countless CLYLP students have used the tools and skills provided and learned through Ellie's campaign development workshop at our Sacramento Leadership Conference, to run for student body elections at their high schools and for local elected offices, as well as to organize campaigns around issues they cared about. CLYLP re-named the alumni internship in her honor in 2014 to keep Ellie's flame burning brightly within her CLYLP family.
INTERNSHIP PROGRAM COMPONENTS
Under the direction of the CLYLP Board President, interns work one-on-one with Board Members and Leadership Team members on specific projects ranging from fundraising to communications and public relations. CLYLP Interns will be assigned a mentor on the Board who will provide guidance, professional advice and an opportunity to cultivate a close working relationship.
Throughout the year, interns will work with different Board Members who lead key functions and programs of the organization. Some of the rotating Intern assignments include:
- Communications – assist PR team in the drafting of letters, press releases, alumni spotlights, and assist with management of database, website content and social media campaigns.
- Fundraising- work with Board Officers on donations records, assist with alumni or regional events, and assist Board President with donor acknowledgement campaign.
- Program Support - support Board Members and Officers by responding to email and phone inquiries, meeting preparation, program development and other Board business and program staffing.
PROGRAM DATES AND LOCATION
The CLYLP Alumni Internship begins in March and ends December. Interns are not required to live in Sacramento. Assignments will be completed remotely. Past interns have completed their internship while attending universities across the country.
Because CLYLP is operated by a volunteer network that spans the entire state, interns must have excellent communication skills to keep the programs connected. Interns must also:
- Be able to intern for the full internship cycle (March-December)
- Be available to work a minimum of 4 hours a week on designated project(s) and correspond with mentor via email on a regular basis.
- Be available to participate on conference calls, as needed.
- Comply with CLYLP policies regarding work performance and personal conduct.
Students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the CLYLP Alumni Internship:
- Be an alumni of CLYLP (includes Sacramento Leadership Conference, Los Angeles Institute or San Joaquin Valley Institute)
- Be enrolled in college full-time or part-time, working towards an undergraduate degree.
- Possess strong analytical and writing skills.
- Possess a strong work ethic.
- Be actively participating in other public and/or community service activities.
HOW TO APPLY
The deadline to apply is June 15, 2017. Download the application and follow the instructions.
APPLICATION DEADLINE AND SELECTION PROCESS
The application and supplementary documents must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 11:59PM on June 15, 2017. Applications will be reviewed by the CLYLP Board of Directors.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information, please contact email@example.com.